Friday, June 6, 2008

Comics and Movies


Hei, here is a little update on the preparations and fundraising I am doing from the north. Jeps, the fundraising is taking off and going good. It is not an easy thing to do, writing letters, asking people and calling them. But at the same time very encouraging to get the response that people have been thinking and considering and praying and then, decide that they want to invest in the stuff I'm doing. It is a dynamic I have not experienced before, quite a thrill. Yeah, it was difficult to start it, but once I got busy with it, specially the phonecalls, then it got a lot easier.

Besides the fundraising I have been preparing and studying for making comics, comic-stories. Comics are a really interesting medium, both pictures and words. One fun and easy method of studying how to construct a story is to watch movies. Movies are like comics in the sense that they are images that appear really fast after eachother on a glowing screen (+sound). Also, lots of DVD's have bonus material that explains about how they made the movie, which is then really interesting to learn from and find things we can apply to comic-making.

I even think it is a "must" to compare the comics we will be making with movies. The generation we want to reach has grown up with TV and DVD and video-games. And in that frame of reference will they look at the things we put in front of them. It is a challenge, but that's what I like about it. Plus, my collegues from the graphic team are already working with video.

No comments: