Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Een boompje opzetten over Jezus. Foliage for a fair life.

Here is the latest "children´s pages" that I have been making. It is about Psalm 1.
The idea for this I got from Fighter Verses website, and their verses for week 16 and 17.

I had about one afternoon to make the graphics for the page, the text was already in place.
I come up with the context and outline for the children´s pages and get Chris to write the text.
I didn´t have the time to make a detailed and complicated drawing,
so I made a tree out of cardboard.

I took two pictures of the tree trunk,
and put them together in Photoshop afterwards.
This is one part.

I put some leaf-esque water color on a few sheets of paper, this is for the foilage.
Here the paint is drying in the sun, I put a stick over the papers so they would not blow away.
I keep a stack of printouts around, in case I want to use the backside for sketching or something.
That must be a Dutch thing.

The next step was to cut find and choose the right bit pieces of paper, and cut them into the right shapes.
This had to think of Eric Carle´s children´s books when I made these.
I remember our local library had several of his books. They are fun and colorful.
Young children really like very colorful pictures.

Because I still had very little time, I drew some simple leaf patterns on the shapes.
These "duck-feet" in the center have been my code for leaves for a while.

Then I jumbled the bits of paper a few times and took a few photo´s.
In the end I put everything together in Photoshop, and I will spare you an explaination.

Meestal heb ik een week om de kinderpagina´s te maken voor ons blad Mot Målet, de laatste keer had ik volgens mij maar een paar dagen.
Gewoonlijk wil ik de hele pagina tekenen, het liefst een grote zoekplaat met veel details, deze keer had ik daar echt de tijd niet voor en heb ik heel wat anders gedaan. Het was leuk om eens op een andere manier bezig te zijn. De puzzel met de appels is voor kinderen in de leeftijd van negen, en de twee "stip-naar-stip" figuurtjes zijn voor de jongere kinderen. Iedereen blij! Hier zijn een paar foto´s van hoe ik de boom op de achtergrond gemaakt heb.
Ik herinnerde mij de filmpjes waarop Eric Carle uit legt hoe hij zijn kinderboeken maakt. En heb een beetje geprobeerd om hetzelfde te doen.

Psalm 1 en 2 gaan over "een rechtvaardige man", natuurlijk gaat het dan over jouw wanneer je eerlijk leeft tegenover God. Maar degene die een werkelijk rechtvaardig leven leefde was Jezus, hij leefde precies zoals God dat wilde. Daarom kon hij voor ons de rechtvaardige straf dragen om ons vrij te maken. Die straf betekende dat hij verlaten en gedood werd. Maar hij is ook weer opgestaan en hij leeft.
Het is zo geweldig dat Jezus het mogelijk maakt voor ons om rechtvaardig te leven. En dat niet alleen voor jouw en mij, maar dat wilde Hij voor iedereen doen.
Wat kan jij doen zodat jij en anderen eerlijk voor God gaan leven?

Deze week heb ik hier in de keuken gewerkt, met een paar anderen heb ik voor een leger van 300 man het middag-eten staan maken, en daar kan je behoorlijk moe van worden.



Usually I have one week to write and draw the children´s pages for Mot Målet, the magazine for YWAM Norway. The last time I think I only had a few days or something.
I would have liked to draw a full-bleed page with lots of details and color, I didn´t have the time for that this time, and had to find another solution.
I remembered the video´s that Eric Carle has made about how he makes his books. I thought I could get something nice if I made something like that. On the pictures you can see how I made the tree for the background of the page. The puzzle with the apples is for children of about age 9, the "connect-the-dots" figures at the bottom are for the younger kids. Everyone happy!


Psalms 1 and 2 are about "a righteous man", and that could be you when you live fair to how God has asked you to live. And the one person who truly lived a fair life was Jesus, he lived exactly as God asked him to live. And that is why he could take the fair punishment for us, so we could live and be free. This punishment meant that Jesus was left by everyone and was killed. But He rose again from death and lives today.
It is great that Jesus has made it possible for us to live a life that is fair to God. And he did not only do this for you and me, but for everyone alive.
What can you do so you and others can live a fair life for God?


This week I have been working in the kitchen here, helping out to make dinner for an army of 300 people. And that has been quite a push, but we had a good team.

No comments: