Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Op een koeienrug / On a cowsback

Here is a study-piece I did for a children´s book. I am satisfied with the mood of the picture.
In the story, the environment is very different, and there will be more people and animals.
I still have some other ideas of how to do this scene of the story.
Here is my reference.

Nou ben ik terug van onze jaarlijkse Zomer-conferentie. Ook dit jaar waren we weer in Stavern, in het zuiden van Noorwegen. Hier waren we met ongeveer 400 man. Ondertussen heb ik verder kunnen werken aan het kinderboek. Ik houd van "wereld-bouwen", om een eigen wereld te scheppen. Of eigenlijk beter gezegd, om een geloofwaardige en tegelijk "eigen" wereld in elkaar te zetten. Je begrijpt dat er dan veel tijd in gaat zitten om het alles zo geloofwaardig te maken. Wereld-bouwen is typisch voor Europeese striptekenaars, Piet Wijn´s Douwe Dabbert en Maarten Toonder´s Bommel zijn goede voorbeelden van.
Als wereldbouwer merk ik dat ik gauw bij de nederlandse stripboeken van mijn kindertijd uit kom.

Last week I was at the YWAM-summer conference, it was in Stavern in the south of Norway. I think we were about 400 people there. Soon we will start again with a new YWAM-magazine. In the meantime, I am sketching and studying for the coming children´s book. Much of the time now goes into "world-building", this means that I am making the world in which the story plays. A good world needs to be recognizable, plausible and at the same time have it´s own identity (culture). World-building is typical for European comic-artists. I think Piet Wijn´s Douwe Dabbert and Maarten Toonder´s Bommel are good examples of this.
For my world-building, I notice that I am going back to the comics and books of my childhood.

No comments: