Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Drawing Diary: This story is alive / De vertelling leeft



So, every day I write a little something of what I have been thinking about, or what has been happening.
No rules really, I am just not promising to show you all the pages, it´s a diary, you understand that.

It is usually very good to hear Andreas speak, and I think I am starting to figure out how he does it .
It stood out for me to hear him talk about how he is relating to God, last week at the YWAM staff gathering.
He does talk more often about it, but this time it just stood out more.

Here is the interview with M. Sendak. I remember seeing his books in our village library when I was little.
The looked very different with a very different atmosphere, a mysterious one perhaps.
And I think his "belief" in Blake is very interesting.

Begin December heb ik van een erg goede vriendin een tekendagboek gekregen, tot het nieuwe jaar heb ik gigantisch zitten denken wat ik met dit tekendagboek zou willen doen. Het is nogal een overgave om elke dag een tekening te maken, met elke tekening ben ik minst een uur bezig.

Voor ik met een project begin, wil ik graag weten dat ik het ook af kan maken. Dan voelt het zo onhandelbaar en willekeurig om elke dag een verschillend plaatje te verzinnen. Dus dacht ik om het dagboek te gebruken om hele verhalen te tekenen, elke dag een plaatje. Voor een illustrateur is het erg waardevol om met plaatjes een heel verhaal te kunnen vertellen, vooral wanneer je voor strips en boeken tekent. Ik vind het betoverend om mijn eigen vertellingen te kunnen bedenken en uitvoeren. Dat is zoveel meer betoverend dan mijn eigen leven.

Ik was van plan om oude Noorse volksverhalen te tekenen, het verhaal van de twaalf wilde eenden of over de prinsessen in de berg blauw. Een ander idee was, om mijn eigen uitvoering/aanpassing te maken van de reis van sint brandaan (over deze laatste zal ik jullie waarschijnlijk een andere keer wat meer vertellen).

Van deze ideeën heb ik afgezien, omdat ik weet dat ik dan voor de komende maanden een fictioneel verhaal in mijn hoofd leef. En ik heb ampel tijd om de verhalen af te maken waar ik momenteel mee bezig ben.

Dus, is zal tekendagboek een persoonlijk dagboek gaan worden, en het zal over mijn leven gaan, dat is mijn voornemen. Op deze manier hoop ik dat het alsnog een samenhangend verhaal word, in ieder geval in míjn hoofd. Ik denk dat ik de meeste pagina´s hier en op twitter zal posten. In ieder geval voor het jaar 2012.
Wanneer je mijn teken-dagboek wil volgen, kun je verwachtten dat je me beter zult leren kennen.


Just before christmas a very good friend gave me a drawing-diary. And for about the rest of the month of December I have been wondering what I was going to do with this book. Making one drawing every day is quite a dedication, each drawing takes at least one hour.

Before I start a project I would like to know that I can finish it as well. And I thought I could use this new dairy to illustrate a whole story or fairy tale, one picture after another. Because I think it is very valuable that I illustrate a whole story rather than to keep drawing different and random things. As an illustrator it is very valuable to be able to tell a story with pictures. I like to tell stories, they are so much more enchanting than my own life.

I had been planning to do the Norwegian folk tale of The Twelve Wild Ducks or The Princesses in the Mountain Blue. Another idea was to make an adaption of The Voyage of Saint Brendan (about this last one, I will probably tell you another time). I could have gone with either of these ideas, even when I don´t really see how that would go. I would end up living through a fictional story in my head for the coming months. While I see that I am short on time to finish the stories that need to be finished.

So, now the diary is going to be a personal diary, and it is going to be about my life, this is my resolution. That way I hope it will still be a coherent story, at least to me. Most of the pages will be posted here and on twitter, at least for the year 2012.
It is mostly a personal challenge, I want to see how this thing will end up. You can expect to see most of my days here, and you can expect to get to know me a little better.

No comments: